Crazy Logic (for alto saxophone and piano, 2006) was composed at the invitation of saxophonist Barry Cockcroft and pianist Adam Pinto (RompDuo) for premiere performance at the 2006 Port Fairy Spring Music Festival, VIC, Australia.
Some subsequent performances of the work include:
• Gerard McChrystal (saxophone) & Mary Dullea (pianist) @ Wigmore Hall, London, UK;
• Barry Cockcroft (saxophone) & Darrell Partin (piano) @ the 34th International Saxophone Symposium, Fairfax, VA, USA;
• Anhinga PianoSAX Duo @ 2011 North American Saxophone Alliance Region 4 Conference, Huntsville, Texas, USA;
• Jabra Latham (saxophone) & Karen Smithies (pianist) at The Ballroom, Epsom House, Pontville, Tasmania, Australia;
• RompDuo @ 2011 Australian Clarinet and Saxophone Symposium, Melbourne, Australia;
• Tim Roberts (saxophone) and Renate Rohlfing (piano) @ Selmer Paris Dragon Bird Event, Steinway Hall, New York City, New York, USA.
• Tim Roberts (saxophone) and Silvan Negrutiu (piano) @ 35th International Saxophone Symposium, Fairfax, VA, USA.
• Bernard Lagana (saxophone) and Associate Artist @ University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, USA.
• Sarah Byron (saxophone) and Associate Artist @ 2012 South Australian Band Association “Champion of Champions” Concert.
• George Pruksavanich (saxophone) & Takool Treeweeranuwat (piano) @ Concert for Siam Yamaha, Siam Discovery, Bangkok, Thailand.
• Tim Roberts (saxophone) and Silvan Negrutiu (piano) @ Hong Kong Academy for the Performing Arts, Hong Kong, SAR PRC.
• William Chien (saxophone) and Chen Yi (piano) @ National Concert Hall, Taipei, Taiwan.
• Perry Rask (saxophone) and Associate Artist (piano) @ Kaeuper Hall, Perkinson Music Center, Millikin University, Decatur IL, USA.
• Michael Duke (saxophone) and Brian Hargrove (piano) @ Adolphe Sax Bicentennial Festival 2014, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA.
• Kristine Gray (saxophone) & Assoc. Artist (piano) @ Rosza Centre Stage, University of Calgary, Canada, in assoc. with 2015 Region 9 Conference of the North American Saxophone Alliance.
• Justin Kenealy (saxophone) & Alexander Bernstein (piano) @ Museum of Shenandoah Valley, Winchester VA, USA, January 2016.
• Anna Stepanova (saxophone) and Iren Seleljo (piano) @ 2016 Vienna Internatioanl Sax Fest, Vienna, Austria.
In composing the work, I have chosen to use musical ideas of a mostly intense and driving nature. My melodic lines comprise semiquavers which twist, scurry, and traverse up, down and around the musical staves at a great pace.
Furthermore, the two instrumentalists often play in unison or at the octave, lending added urgency and directness to the music.
While a softer, more reflective mood is revealed at the heart of the work, it is the energetic music with its chromatic kinks, jagged contours and wide leaps that elicits, for me, the ‘crazy’ mood alluded to in the work’s title.
In stitching my ‘crazy’ music together, I have aimed to afford the work a certain logic by virtue of balanced phrasing and fluent transitions between sections of the work.
I thank Barry and Adam for inviting me to compose this work and for giving the work its premiere performance.